The 2nd summer school was held on July 13-16, 2010 in Beijing Normal University, Beijing, China. It attracted 408 international participants, including graduate students, young scholars and researchers, most coming from Asian countries. Twenty-three outstanding scientists in this field from worldwide have shared their state-of-the-art knowledge on land surface observing, modeling, data assimilation methods and associated case studies. Considering the background of participants, most speeches were delivered in Chinese. In order to help non-Chinese participants have a better understanding, simultaneous translations from Chinese to English has been offered during the entire period of summer school.
The objective of this summer school is to help more researchers, especially young scientists, get the latest information and techniques in land surface studies and data assimilation.
The summer school was followed by the 3rd Asian G-WADI Network Meeting that was held on Saturday, July 17th 2010 at the Institute of Remote Sensing Applications of Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing.
July 13, 2010
- Microwave Modeling and Parameterization for Data Assimilation, Jiancheng Shi. PDF, ~1.37MB
- Atmosphere forcing data in China region based on FY2 satellite data, Chunxiang Shi. PDF, ~13.8MB
- Second Generation Polar-Orbiting Meteorological Satellite of China: Fengyun 3A and Its Application on Global Monitoring, Peng Zhang. PDF, ~7.78MB
- NASA Satellite and Model Data and Services: Land Data Access Tutorial, Suhung Shen. PDF, ~2.53MB
- Overview of remote sensing data products for land surface data assimilation, Shulin Liang. PDF, ~3.99MB
July 14, 2010
- Modeling Land and atmosphere interactions, Yongkang Xue. PDF, ~4.39MB
- Land surface modeling in Arid and Semi-arid regions, Kun Yang. PDF, ~7.74MB
- Integration of MODIS products and a crop simulation model for crop yield estimation, Hongliang Fang. PDF, 1.58MB
- Uncertainty Quantification of Large Complex Dynamical Systems, Qingyun Duan. PDF, ~8.70MB
- Parameter Estimation and Model Selection Procedures for Ecosystem Models, Dennis Ojima. PDF, ~730KB
- Use of AIC for Model Selection, Bill Parton. PDF, ~1.40MB
July 15, 2010
- Assimilating Remote Sensing Data into Land Surface Models: Theory, Methods and a Software Tool, Xin Li. English Version, PDF, ~1.31MB. Chinese Version, PDF, ~1.46MB
- Cost-function & Sequentially based Assimilation Method, Jun Qin. PDF, ~1.74MB
- Review of Parameterization and parameter Estimation for Hydrologic Models, Soroosh Sorooshian. PDF, ~7.78MB
- Forecast Error Covariance Matrix Inflation In Ensemble Kalman Filtering Assimilation, Xiaogu Zheng. PDF, ~270KB
- A general data assimilation framework (in Chinese), Liangxu Wang. PDF, ~671KB
July 16, 2010
- Towards operational soil moisture monitoring, Jeffrey Walker. PDF, ~3.84MB
- The Application of Remotely- Sensed Land-Surface Properties in Regional Climate Modeling, Lixin Lu. PDF, ~1.61MB
- Land Surface Modeling and Its Applications with MKF-based Data Assimilations, Xu Liang. PDF, ~10.0MB
- North American Land Data Assimilation System: An Overview, Youlong Xia. PDF, ~7.40MB
- Distributed Hydrological Modeling and Data Assimilation, Xianhong Xie. PDF, ~1.45MB
- Water Sciences at East Asian Cluster countries, Jayakumar Ramasamy & Anil Mishra. PDF, ~1.04MB
- Role of UNESCO-IHP (International Hydrological Programme) in Global Hydrological System and Modelling and IHP Programme in East Asia, Bhanu Neupane. PDF, ~5.10MB
Lecture Materials, PDF, ~117MB
-in MP3 audio format.
-Note, presentations were basically spoken in Chinese except those from Dennis Ojima and Bill Parton on July 14, Sorrosh Sorooshian on July 15, and Jeffrey Walker, Xu Liang, Jayakumar, Anil and Bhanu on July 16.